Tuesday, May 12, 2009

BK/pointing

I was at two minds about what i was going to write my blob about. As some may notice i spread my blogs far apart as i wait for topics to present themselves. But these topics are different from usually. One is because i had an experience at BK, i use the word loosely as it wasn't significant at all, heck if i didn't for some strange reason find it appropriate for a blob i wouldn't even remember it. It wasn't really an experience with BK itself, but BK was a platform for how i think and my personality.

I went to Burger King last night. That's the experience. Like i said nothing special, but that's merely describing what the experience was and not going into further detail. So i'll continue. I went to Burger King last night, as i was walking down i was thinking about Globalisation (i.e developed economies beating the crap out of economies that are developing) and multi-national corperations, i was thinking about why people willingly ingest things that are bad for them and pay for it, heck there are lawyers in America that it's the fast food companies personal right to sell this unhealthy food, that it represents some kind of liberty, and this liberty and freedom protects their economy (which is anything but liberal and free). Then i thought that anything can kill you, the sun can kill you! But then in my own personal debate i then reasoned that the sun only kills you if you don't take precautions, and the same applies with fast food, it's only significantly negative if you eat to excess instead of taking the precaution of eating in moderation and having it as an occaisional treat, now i could start a whole new debate about this, i.e considering the intention of advertising, the more healthy menus of these fast food resteraunts and the desire of business's to maximise profit.

Now this was before i even entered the door of Burger King. Now when i entered and nothing really interesting happens i ordered a double whopper combo, not particuarly interesting, just mere details that move my little tale along, i then recieved my cup for me to put my drink into, i put Fanta in (again minor detail, but detail none the less. Then i waited. I then continued to wait do you know what i did after that? You're right i waited. And that didn't bother me. My logical mind made me think that there was also a rational explanation. Rationality, that's an interesting word, rational decision usually involves maximising your own satisfation. Along with a dozen other criteria (one model even implicitly states that it is almost impossible to make a rational decision. Where was i? I've actually lost my place, oh yeah waiting for my meal. Oh yeah rationality! The employees made a rational decision to maximise their job security by performing their task adequatly. Sooo not worth the tangent. Any way while i was waiting i made the rational decision to drink my drink (as customers are entitled to free refills) This maximise my satisfaction, but this does not mean the total satisfaction that could have been derived from that situation was not fulfilled. Most economics students will know there are three resources; time, money and skills. (money is property before you say i've missed anything out, anything of some kind of value) Now time is scarcer than money so only by fully utilsing my time will my satisfation be totally fulfilled, but i accept that external forces also affect my satisfaction.

Anyway i finally got my meal. now perhaps to help maximise my satisfaction i could have voiced my displeasure, maybe with complaint or by acting annoyed. But that's not the kind of person i am. I smiled and i said a sincere thank you. I don't really get frustrated that often because i usually expect that the worst thing is a possibility and am realistic about it. I was aware that my chips may have been sitting in a carton for a while as i walked home. And alas when i got home my chips were cold.

Now a friend of mine told me to write a blog about another incident that happened last week, on a wednesday if my memory serves me best. I went to see a comedian called Ed Byrne, i am a fairly big fan, i own one of his dvds and watch alot of his clips on youtube, one of these bits i saw at his show, always the sign of a fanboy.

Now one of the friends i went with (Sean Flannery) had to use the bathroom so he went in and i waited for him. And amazingly enough i saw Ed Byrne! In the flesh! By the lifts. I became star struck, i could not think of a thing to say to him. But when you see a celebrity you don't do nothing do you! So i pointed. Now i know he saw me pointing, but i was also pulling back from pointing when he turned round. Now he lifted his head in acknolwedgment and i bowed my head to acknowledge him. So at least i was acknowledged by Ed Byrne!

Now one of the funny things about this is that in his show he talked about thinking of the best thing to say after the event actually happens. I was walking down Tristram Ave and i thought of a million things i could have said. The obvious one was "hi, i'm oliver. i'm a big fan."

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment